Monday, January 31, 2011

Be an educator!

                To begin, I couldn’t help but relate the critical approach to teaching an English or Language Arts class to my past experiences during middle and secondary schooling. I was often too embarrassed to raise my hand in class, because the conclusion I came to after reading an assignment was different from that of the teachers. Being both in the position of a student and an aspiring teacher, I can understand how this feeling was not an uncommon one among other students in English classes. After reading “You Gotta BE the Book,” it became more obvious to me that simply the way reading is taught to young children may turn them away from becoming an avid and understand reader in the future. As young educators, it is our duty to help change this cycle to reach out to students and teach them that reading can be interesting, intense, and a way to attain more information.
                As stated by Wilhelm, students like Marvin are found in every school. Those who are unwilling to read and find it lame, for a lack of a better word, and it’s sad to think that our society is becoming more and more reliant on websites like Sparknotes and Pinkmonkey to offer all the answers rather than reading the assignment ourselves. When students aren’t reading the assignment, they cannot learn to analyze and understand the reading from their own knowledge, and these websites are enabling them from having their own opinions. As stated in the book, the way reading is introduced to young pupils may be an affect to why reading does not appeal to them. The “bottom up” theory of learning to read only offers a mechanical way of looking at words, rather than putting them together and trying to understand their meaning. After having a negative attitude towards reading at such an early age, it’s hard to change the opinions of students as they reach their middle and high school level courses. On page 25, Frank Smith states, “learning to read [as] a matter of application to all manner of exercises and drills which can only distract and perhaps even discourage a child from the business of learning to read.” Smith summarizes that without change, students may be unenthusiastic to read because of the dull exposure they have had to it in the past. I believe that if a new method of teaching students how to read that offers a more related connection between words and their meanings, students may have a more positive attitude towards literacy.
                In addition, literature does not always have a “correct answer.”  A piece of literature can and is interpreted in many ways depending on the reader and his or her past experiences. Because this is true, teachers should be more willing to accept an array of answers as long as they valid to the reading. As stated, a valid reader is one who follows two rules; as long as their opinion of the literature does not contradict other parts of the passage or the opinion isn’t based on a bias it is considered valid. As long as this holds true, educators should be more willing to encourage students to give their point of view. Even those students who would consider themselves a “reader” are not always fully developed in their skills and need to be challenged. This is why educators need to understand and meet the needs of every individual student, and this is constantly changing from year to year. Wilhelm states that getting to know his students makes it easier to assess to their needs as students of language arts.
                Another important aspect that educators need to understand that sometimes students don’t understand the purpose for studying or learning about a particular piece of literature, for example The Scarlet Letter. The author’s daughter was confused about the purpose for this specific novel and it challenges the teacher to make it clear to the students. If the piece of literature is outdated, and a connection can’t be made between the student and the point that is to be assessed by the student after reading, then a “good” teacher should look for alternatives to get this specific point across. Also, opening up students to an array of genres, allows them to better understand and appreciate the different types of literature available. As an educator, we must meet the needs of our students and one way to approach this is by personal research from the students in our own classrooms. As stated in a recent study (1990), teachers spend more time getting their degree rather than being evaluated after being in the classroom.  Also, the United States alone is suffering among the other education facilities worldwide. For example, a study shows that the entire country lacks problem solving skills and literacy skills, and instead is teaching mediocre math and reading skills. This is appalling! The world is competitive and giving students any advantage in the world comes from a solid early education.
                In order to give a solid education, we must find a way to introduce new ways of thinking in our English department.

6 comments:

  1. "if the piece of literature is outdated, and a connection can’t be made between the student and the point that is to be assessed by the student after reading, then a “good” teacher should look for alternatives to get this specific point across."

    I agree that teachers should draw from multiple genres and widen their understanding of what engaging texts are. I'm wondering what other "classics" might seem outdated or antiquated to us. Is there no way to connect The Scarlet Letter or the Canterbury Tales, or MacBeth to our students' lives. We can talk about texts being "outdated," but too often, they are the ones sitting on the shelves (or required by the district) for us to teach. Then what? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that many students do not offer their ideas and opinions about certain literature because they are afraid that their teacher will shoot them down, simply because the student's opinion differs from that of themselves. It is very much a shame. There are so many valuable opinions about literature that are unspoken because of this. I hope so much that I NEVER do this to my students.
    I also agree that many students do not understand the point of a certain assignment. It is very important for us, as teachers to build a bridge between the student and the purpose for reading/ studying the literature. Do you have any response to a student who would ask "why do I need to study literature in general?" or "How will this benefit me?" ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote: "I was often too embarrassed to raise my hand in class, because the conclusion I came to after reading an assignment was different from that of the teachers." I can relate to that statement from my experience in middle, junior high and high school. I also like how you point out that there may not be ONE "correct" answer in English. I believe this notion needs to be stressed, so that our students will not feel embarassed to express their own opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling comfortable in a classroom is a huge deal for me. I want all of my students to feel that they can reach out to literature, their classmates and me. It's funny to recognize that teachers are not extremely willing to see more than one interpretation of an answer, where as for me, I decided to be a teacher in order to hear all of the different perspectives I am going to have in my classroom. It is sad to know that there are teachers who do not care about point of view, when it matters so much to other educators. I acknowledge the fact that I will have shy students in my classroom, but since I am aiming at a discussion based classroom, I hope that our ideas as a class are able to get all students to open up about their aesthetic view on literature as well as their interpretations. -- TO Heidi, the question of "how will this benefit me" is def. a hard question to answer specifically, but I want my students to build a relationship with literature in order for them to learn the benefit themselves, instead of me telling them why. Regardless if higher education is in the future for my students, I want them to acknowledge the idea that reading and being able to analyze are characteristics needed for many instances. I hope we all can stress this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was exactly like you when I came back to college last semester. I am the student who always sees things differently than everyone else. Although I am normally outspoken, I found myself clamming up. I didn't share my feelings because I was afraid of being wrong. But is there really a right or wrong answer indefinitely when it comes to literature? My experience throughout my education has been that teachers want and expect you to see things in only black and white. Students have become so accustomed to this approach that they don't really even know how to think for themselves anymore. They don't want to think for themselves. What some students consider a bird course is frustrating to me because I don't want to just be fed facts, but want to offer up my own interpretations and really interact with a text. It's too bad that we've spent so much time focusing on how to get students to achieve certain letter grades than on how to think critically on their own even if that means they may get an answer "wrong".

    ReplyDelete
  6. You noted, "I was often too embarrassed to raise my hand in class, because the conclusion I came to after reading an assignment was different from that of the teachers." I think a lot has to do with the atmosphere a teacher creates in the classroom. For me, it wasn't so much that I thought what I'd say was different from the teacher. For me, I could be super-shy in one class and then really engaged and animated in another. Although the subject we were covering influenced my comfort level in the classroom, I found that the teacher sets the stage for how students interact. I'd like to know more about ways to facilitate safe and supportive learning environments (Wilhelm's book very useful on this front!).

    ReplyDelete