Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Literacy Profile

I guess I would consider myself a reader. I love reading books that make you think outside your comfort level. I'm drawn to the experiences that the authors put me through, and I often find myself trying to relate my own life and the events that occured thus far to the character's lives. Also, I like reading literature that covers popular issues of the time. An example of this is 19 Mintues by Jodi Picoult; it discusses the emotions that follow a school shooting. I began reading outside of school assignments in second grade. I read the entire Cam Jansen Mystery series about a girl who had a photographic memory and helped solve mysteries around her local town. As I got older, however, I began to read the Nacy Drew series as a young teen. By the time I reached high school some of my favorite books I read were I am the Messenger, Looking For Alaska, The Luxe Series, The Book Thief, Cat and Mouse, Elsewhere, Perks of being a Wallflower, Love and Other Four Letter Words, Tears of a TigerThe Glass Castle, and many more. At home I keep a list of the books I've read, so I don't happen to reread books. I liked books about teenagers and their lives. I was more drawn to outcast characters than I was the "typical" characters. In addition to reading on my own time, being in honors English classes in high school made for a heavy reading semester. Most of the literature I was exposed to was old and outdated. It was hard to relate to and often I found the material boring and irrelevant. I liked reading novels, and tried by best to understand. I think the reason I felt the way I did was because I got sick of the same study guides, reading quizes, and then simply writing an essay on a topic relating to the reading. There was no fun in it, no creativity. Some of the books I read during high school were The Scarlet Letter, The Odyssey, The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Separate Peace, Of Mice and Men, The Glass Menagerie, All Quiet on the Western Front, Gulliver's Travels, Animal Farm, the First Part Last, Raisin in the Sun and others I cannot remember. Depending on the book I can be both a motivated and a reluctant reader. On my own, I love reading. However, reading the Odyssey was slow and hard to get through. I hope to someday encourage my students to enjoy reading by incorporating different activites that the typical study guides and writing assignments, and by mixing in different eras of books. Learning can be fun and outside the box, and I hope to bring that to the classroom at somepoint.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep a list so that you don't reread books, oh but that's half the fun of it. Books for me are so different than movies. I cannot stand to watch movies a second time unless of course they are extremely complex like the Sixth Sense or Inception, but with books it is so different. I read so quickly, but there is no possible way that I could every saturate in every detail of a book. I love to read books over and over again especially because just like movies they evoke a certain feeling and emotion. There are times when I want to relate or times where I want to clarify. Don't be afraid to go back over your list and read those books again. You never know, it might be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that you have a list of books, so that you do not re-read them. I usually do not re-read books; however, I have a few books that I have read more than once. Each time I read them I learn more and more. I find that I can also become aware of certain aspects of the book the second time reading it that I was oblivious to the first time.
    Also, I totally agree that our high schools are so obsessed with "old and outdated" literature. Although I do not think that all classics are awful, after all they are called classics for a reason, I do think that a move to studying contemporary literature may benefit the students. Perhaps those who really do not like reading would begin to, while others could make connections between the classics and what authors presently are writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I love reading books that make you think outside your comfort level."

    I agree! I often tell my students that learning is not always about feeling "comfortable." It's when we're "uncomfortable" that we are forced to think through why we believe what we believe.

    ReplyDelete